Everybody has unconscious bias.
This decides unduly in favour of certain kind, especially women (only 4% in leadership positions)
Ways to overcome
- Be open to contrary ideas
- Acknowledge confusion at your end
- Write down the feeling of frustration
- Give chance to another category while recruiting
- Put standards of evaluation
- Even the best can be failures – help them overcome
- The average ones can perform brilliantly, assign them responsibility of that kind
- Get read of ‘Affinity bias’, as it only seeks people from your own fraternity.
- ‘Perception bias’ happens from stereotypes without objective judgements. Viz, do u want men to see heading the SEO & Data scientist team?
- ‘Confirmation bias’ is about ignoring contrary opinion. Examine both sides of the data by looking closely at the assumptions
- Encourage stifling ideas
- Invite an impartial observer to question every decision and conclusion
Lastly, don’t make it unnecessarily complicated.
- 1% bias in favour of a group puts the other group at 50% jeopardy
- Chose re-engagement rather than replacement
- The prospective candidates can reject you with past discriminations due to unconscious bias.